Body Work (V.I. Warshawski, #14) - Sara Paretsky I wanted to love this book, I really did. After all, I've spent almost half my life reading and loving Sara Paretsky's V I Warshawski series. When I started reading the series, VI was older than me. Twenty-five years later, she's now younger than I am. Go figure.

But as much as I wanted to love it, I found this a chore to read. It didn't excite me. I didn't want to read it in one go. I could probably have stopped reading it at any point without regret. I finished it because that's what I do, notwithstanding my general view that life's too short to read anything but the best books. I also finished reading it because, well, it's a Sara Paretsky, and it's VI and I've spent a lot of quality time with them over the years.

There's no doubt that Paretsky writes well. She can craft a sentence with the best of them. She knows a thing or two about character. Although the resolution in this particular novel was rather strained, the ability to suspend disbelief is part of the job description of a crime fiction reader, so any weakness in the plot in forgiveable. Plus, there's the fact that this is an iconic series. All of that counts for something and means that I give the book two stars rather than one.

It may just be that VI is tired. God knows, she's been beaten up and narrowly faced death so many times it's a wonder she's not crippled with arthritis and hunched up in a corner with PTSD. She's just not that interesting anymore. Furthermore, her neighbour Mr Conteras is increasingly annoying and I wanted to slap the incredibly irritating cousin Petra.

I'm glad I finished this book. Mostly I'm glad because I can start reading something else. I'm kind of sad, too, because I won't look forward to the next VI Warshawski. I may still read it, for old time's sake, or in the hope that my lack of enthusiasm for this particular episode in VI's life says more about me than it does about the skill of VI's creator.