To Kill a Mockingbird - Sissy Spacek, Harper Lee Lee
I haven't read this novel for many years, but was irresistably drawn back to it by my friend Koeeoaddi mentioning the audiobook narrated by Sissy Spacek. (Thanks Ko!). What a wonderful narration of a wonderful book. Spacek is perfect: she effortlessly evokes both the eight-year-old Scout and the adult Scout looking back at her eight-year-old self and gives a believable voice to all of the other characters.

There is nothing I can say about this work that hasn't been said thousands of times before. I love the layered effect of the narrative: the adult Scout remembering herself as a child, having her adult understanding affect her childhood memories. I also love the network of relationships: between Atticus and his children, between Scout and her brother, between the siblings and Dill, between the Finch family and Calpurnia and between the Finch family and the broader Maycomb community. As I lawyer, I also love the portrayal of Atticus Finch, whose personal integrity and professional ethics exemplify all that a lawyer should be.

I'm very glad I was able to track down this audiobook. Along with the novel itself, it's one to treasure. Now I need to watch the film again.