Brat Farrar - Josephine Tey
A mystery involving an imposter and a possible crime set in and around a horse stud in the south of England, sometime after World War II, this is a novel which kept my interest from beginning to end. It's an intriguing work. On the one hand, the way in which the narrative develops and the resolution of the mystery are extremely predictable. I'm not particularly skilled at solving literary crime before the protagonist charged with that task, but here I worked out what had happened and what was going to happen reasonably early in the piece. On the other hand, even though the novel contained no surprises, I still found it very suspenseful. Tey's prose is elegant, her characters are well-developed and she evokes a great sense of place and time. In addition, while I know nothing about the world of horses in which the novel is set, the way in which Tey writes about that world is entirely convincing.

The major weakness of this work is that the ending feels rushed. Even though I knew what was going to happen, I would have liked somewhat more exposition. It felt a bit like Tey, having written a particular number of words, was keen to wrap up the novel as soon as she could. It didn't ruin the reading experience for me, though. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the novel and although I didn't do so, I could easily have read it in one or two sittings.

I'm not sure why I read and enjoyed two novels by Josephine Tey when I was in my teens - [b:The Franchise Affair|243401|The Franchise Affair (Inspector Alan Grant)|Josephine Tey|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1346240217s/243401.jpg|1620751] and [b:The Daughter of Time|77661|The Daughter of Time|Josephine Tey|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1307325271s/77661.jpg|3222080] - and then didn't read another of her novels until last year, when I read two of the novels in her Alan Grant series. Neglecting Tey's novels for such a long time means that I missed out on a lot of reading enjoyment. On the other hand, not having read them before means that I still have that pleasure ahead of me.

Another enjoyable buddy read with my friend Jemidar.